Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Repent or Resign: Part II

A couple of days ago I wrote about the Reverend Chan Chandler of Haywood County Baptist church and his insistence that if one of his flock didn't vote for Bush, they were a sinner and should repent or resign from the church. Well, guess who resigned today:
WAYNESVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- A Baptist preacher accused of running out nine congregants who refused to support President Bush resigned Tuesday.

''I am resigning with gratitude in my heart for all of you, particularly those of you who love me and my family,'' the Rev. Chan Chandler said during a meeting at East Waynesville Baptist Church.
At least he did the right thing... eventually. But he did need a bit of persuasion:
Chandler's resignation came a day after a national group that lobbies for church-state separation urged the Internal Revenue Service to investigate the tax-exempt status of the East Waynesville Baptist Church.

IRS rules bar clear-cut politicking by tax-exempt groups. Last October, days before Bush won a second term, the IRS said it was investigating about 60 charities and other tax-exempt groups -- about a third of them churches -- for potentially breaking rules that bar them from participating in political activity.


I said the guy was poster boy material a couple days ago. I'm glad to see someone else had the same idea.