Saturday, March 26, 2005

Mr. President?

So I'm flipping channels when I come across what seems to be the president on Comedy Central. The audience is laughing hysterically at him. I'm thinking I've died and gone to heaven as I must be witnessing Bush's final undoing in public. But no. It's an impersonator who is dead on the accent and mannerisms in full makeup as the close up in the next shot reveals. The make up is incredible though. In the long shots I couldn't tell him from the real thing. Even his "speech" was true to the original:
"I care about our seniors. I really do. Facts show that our seniors are the ones closest to death. Thousands of them die everyday."

"Many people are concerned about the deficit and ask me what I'm going to do about it. I share those concerns. I understand those concerns."
It was an impersonation. But it could have been a CNN live broadcast. Somehow that takes the fun out of it.