Friday, March 18, 2005

Movers, Shakers, Bloggers

I'm a blog zealot. I worked in a PR office for a major municipality for most of the beginning of my design career and remember the lessons learned there with wide eyed disbelief vividly. Lessons like it's not what you mean, but what you say; play offense; he who owns perception owns reality; etc. With the state of the media today, blogs allow an outsider, a little guy, a no-name, or a guy like me in the burbs, to get his side out there and start influencing the perception of the masses. And as it turns out, we bloggers are really doing more than our fair share of shaping and influencing perception.

So as much as it comes as no surprise to me, it does come as welcome food for my ego, that there are several surveys out there now describing bloggers as an "elite minority" or "shockingly influential." For example, Political Wire comments on their survey results:
* You have a lot of influence in public affairs. More than half work in government, diplomacy, law, the media, education or non-profit advocacy groups. Henry Copeland calls blog readers "shockingly influential."
* You are mostly Democrats (73%) and nearly all male (88%).
* You are politically active. A stunning 75% have contributed money to a cause or campaign online in the last six months!
While it is disappointing to see so few women blogging, the figure showing 75% of bloggers have contributed politically is powerful, especially for candidates looking for ways to spend their limited campaign funds. If your a Democrat, you better be talking to the Blogosphere or ignore it at your peril. The beauty of this last tidbit it that, unlike a corporate donor, the Blogosphere is an equal opportunity perception shaker. Even if your name has a (D) after it, if you cross the Blogosphere you'll hear about it. Just ask Mr. Lieberman.

Blogs and bloggers. Next thing you know, we'll get all respectable and become trendy. I don't know about you, but when I have to stop blogging in my pajamas, and instead wear my business suit to the electronic office, then I'll draw the line. But then again, who'd know?